The Minneapolis Electrical Joint Apprenticeship Training Committee (JATC) is a non-profit organization jointly sponsored by International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (IBEW) Local Union 292 and the Minneapolis Chapter of the National Electrical Contractors Association (NECA).
The JATC is made up of eight members. Four members represent labor (union members) and four members represent management (contractors). The current committee members are listed below:
- Antonio Hanson (Member)
- Jeff Heimerl (Business Manager)
- John Kripotos (President)
- Kurt Mobroten (Member)
- John Axelson (President – Hunt Electric)
- Jerry Becher (President – J. Becher & Associates)
- Kristin Causby (Executive Director)
- Kyle Raasch (Vice President – Collins Electrical)
The Minneapolis JATC provides a skilled, knowledgeable, and capable workforce for the unionized electrical industry within the central Minnesota area. Our jurisdiction (see map) is: all of Hennepin, Carver, Scott, Wright, Benton, Stearns, Pope, Stevens, Big Stone, Swift, Kandiyohi, Meeker, McLeod, Chippewa, and Lac Qui Parle Counties; that part of Anoka County containing the cities of Andover, Anoka, Columbia Heights, Coon Rapids, Fridley, Hilltop, Ramsey, and Spring Lake Park; and that part of Sherburne County containing the townships of Haven, Palmer, Santiago, Clearlake and Becker.
The Minneapolis JATC built and operates a 40,000 square foot state-of-the-art training center, built as a joint venture of the Minneapolis Chapter of NECA and Local Union 292 IBEW at no expense to the taxpaying public. Training has always been emphasized by our industry leaders, so it is not surprising that they have chosen to build this training center as a foundation to strong labor and management relations.
The local began holding informal night school classes at Dunwoody Technical Institute in 1931. In 1945 it was requested by the contractors to look at a day school format due to all the overtime that was being worked at the time. The importance of apprenticeship training was recognized by the electrical industry and the JATC was formally recognized as the provider of that training.
In 1946 day school classes started and apprentices are paid half a day’s wages for attending classes. In 1949 it was decided to start apprentice rotations to different contractors in an effort to diversify training. This meant that the hours worked by apprentices in various electrical installations would have to be tracked. In 1954 day school classes went to a 1:00 pm to 5:00 pm schedule. In 1956 a Joint Industry Board was established to promote educational and promotional programs to benefit both the IBEW and NECA.
On December 19, 1968 the Minneapolis Electrical Workers Employee and Apprenticeship Training Fund was established. In 1969 a 10,000 square foot building was purchased at the edge of downtown in south Minneapolis to provide JATC training until June of 2002. On December 18, 1997 the Trust Fund was restated as the Minneapolis Electrical Joint Apprenticeship and Training Trust Fund. In June of 2002, the JATC moved to a new 40,000 square foot training center in St. Michael, a growing suburb of Minneapolis.
The Minneapolis Electrical JATC is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action for our members and employees.